Town Planning, Development & Building Control

Council’s Environmental Services Division guides land use activities within the Gilgandra Local Government Area through building and development regulation.

This includes the assessment and determination of:

  •  Development Applications (DA's)
  •  Construction Certificates (CC's)
  •  Complying Development Certificates (CDC's)
  •  Building Certificates
  •  Subdivision Certificates

Council also offers a free pre-lodgement advice service for proponents of development within the Local Government Area. Council has recognised that one of the biggest causes of delays in the processing of Development Applications is the lack of or absence of appropriate information. This prelodgement service allows advice to be given relating to planning, building, engineering and environment and health matters to ensure proponents are fully aware of the issues which need to be addressed prior to lodgement of a Development Application.

Please call 6817 8800 to make an appointment with one of our staff to discuss your proposed development.

Proposed development

Do I need approval?

Development is defined under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 as:

  • The use of land; 
  • the subdivision of land; 
  • the erection of a building;
  • the carrying out of work; 
  • demolition;
  • any other matter controlled by an environmental planning instrument (like the Dubbo Local Environment Plan or a State Environmental Planning Policy).

What is a Development Application?

A Development Application is a request to Council on an approved Council form seeking approval for a proposed development. 

Construction Certificate

A Construction Certificate is the approval required to actually commence and carry out building/construction works authorised by development and must be obtained before works commence.

Exempt Development

Exempt Development is development of minimal environmental impact  and the provisions for Exempt Development are contained in "State EnvironmentalPlanning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008"

Complying Development

Other development that has low environmental impact that is able to be addressed by particular pre-determined development standards is called "Complying Development" and the provisions for Complying Development are also contained in the "State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008".

Complying Development requires a Complying Development Certificate in lieu of a Davelopment Approval but must be undertaken in accordance with the development standards set out in "State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008".

In order to obtain a Complying Development Certificae, you need to lodge a Complying Development Application either with Council or with a private certifier.

All other development requires a Development Application.


Local Environmental Plan

Download a copy of Council's Local Environmental Plan, gazetted on 9 December 2011.

Development Control Plan

Download a copy of Council's Development Control Plan 2011 PDF (1.17mb)

Section 94a Development Contributions Plan

Download a copy of Council's Section 94A Developer Contributions Plan PDF (227kb)

Fact Sheets:

Fire Safety Measures

Section J Requirements

Application Forms

Click here if you are wanting to download application forms