Gilgandra Shire Council has completed a Community-based Heritage Study. This process involved careful consideration of the cultural heritage significance of places or items of importance to the story of a local government area.
Council engaged the services of a qualified heritage advisor to work with the community to identify these places and assess their significance. Outcomes of the study include:
• Development of a Thematic History of the shire.
• Recording of places and items.
• Recommendations regarding inclusion of these places or items on a local government heritage schedule.
• Recommendations regarding the inclusion of items with a high level of significance on the State Heritage Inventory.
• Recommendations regarding tourism and promotion of the area.
Council’s Heritage Consultant completed a heritage study of the Gilgandra Shire and produced two documents:
1. Community based Heritage Study (PDF - 1.07mb) of Gilgandra Shire; and
2. Thematic history of Gilgandra Shire (in three parts)
Council's Heritage Advisor is Ray Christison from High Ground Consulting. Ray is based in Lithgow and has extensive experience in the field of heritage assessment and planning. Ray has undertaken a community-based heritage study with Warrumbungle, Young and Broken Hill councils and he makes regular visits to Gilgandra to meet with the public and the advisory panel.
A Heritage Strategy for 2015-2018 has been prepared to meet the requirements of the Heritage Branch, Office of Environment and Heritage three year funding agreement to support local government heritage management in NSW.
Download a copy of the Heritage Strategy PDF (108kb)